Saturday, May 17, 2008

Photography Workshop

I'm on the waiting list for Wendy Shulz Photography Class. I should be able to get into the class just after the first of next year (2009), which works out well. It gives us a chance to get moved and settled a bit as well as actually afford the $500 fee. It's a small online class, 6 students, 12 weeks long. THere are 6 assignments broken down into 2 week blocks and lots of individual attention. I am really, really excited! The class has gotten numerous excellent reviews on the vendor review site I visited.

On that note, I am currently working on a metering and exposure study group through the ilovephotography.com (ILP) site. I posted a thread wondering if anyone else was struggling and wanted to work together & got a pretty great response. We've been putting together assignments with the help of a couple of mentors that we recruited. Of course the reality is that only a few people are actually participating, but so be it. I've taken the responsibility for keeping it moving forward and am getting a lot out of it. Currently we are working through a lighting boot camp where we are using artifical lights to just see how light falls. The lights are set up in a variety of scenarios and images are posted for analysis. It's been really helpful for me and I"m starting to look at light differently- what direction is it coming from, how harsh or soft is it, times when a lighting scenario would be appropriate for certain subjects but not others.

My theory on it is that if I'm going to pay $500 for a photo course, I want to go from OK to good, not from mostly unknowledgeable to just OK. I can do this work on the front in and go into the course with a fair amount of knowledge to build on.

It also just feel so good to really start moving forward with photography.

No comments: